Monday, September 30, 2013

The Support Factor

Aging stinks. Normally I would use a different word but that would be "inappropriate” as the kids love to remind me when I mess up. Apparently my joints got the memo that summer is over. The idea of running up a flight of stairs is about as likely as me playing for the Red Sox. So, I need to make some accommodations in my life, something our students and individuals are quite familiar with. In the grand scheme of things, this is a minor inconvenience. I heard a report earlier this week about a cancer study which indicates that the support system that surrounds a person is as important as the treatment they are receiving.

As I slowly climbed the stairs to my office, one of our students offered to help me with my “heads” (another story, another time, I promise). And in that moment, I felt better.  I have no hard numbers for you, but it is in my humble opinion that one of the reasons Latham is successful working with children and adults with PWS and other complex special needs is because we have a caring community here. It’s not just that the staff “gets” PWS; everyone here “gets” it. We are each other’s support system and it makes a challenging life more manageable and frankly, more fun. Looking around my work world is reassuring to me that we are on the right track. I can only hope the rest of the world follows our lead.

Submitted by:
Chris Gallant


Related Posts:
Top Ten Reasons Latham Excels in PWS Residential Placement
Latham Individuals Speak with Students
Autumn of Cape Cod: A Transitional POV




“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” 
 ~Charles Dickens

No comments:

Post a Comment