Monday, December 9, 2013

Generosity

Latham is gearing up for a fabulous finish to 2013. There is so much going on that I can hardly contain myself. Community meetings, bell ringing performances, craft fairs, parties, holiday preparations; you name it, we are doing it! There is a busy vibe in the air as the days become shorter and the cold weather sets in. I think what I love most about Latham is the spirit of generosity & kindness I observe here on a daily basis. Be it as simple as holding open the door, helping with chores, or demonstrating kindness to a fellow student who is upset; it all makes for a close-knit community that I am proud to be a part of.

I know there are folks out there who would look at our students and individuals with a “glass half empty” view. They see “poor little special needs people” and can I just say-- how wrong they are! My view is that of a community of strength & resilience. Of people who ask “How can I help?” not “How can you help me?”  Many schools now include a “community service” requirement for graduation….and that’s wonderful but frankly, you are coming a little late to our party! We welcome your service; thank you for joining our kids and adults who, in spite of their challenges, have been doing this for years, often without any reminders from adults about it! I remember quilts being make for disaster victims back in the 1980’s, of knitted hats made for babies with HIV, of food drives and craft sales all with a focus on people somewhere in the world, in need.

That’s one thing that continues to ring true at any time of year. It truly is better to give than receive.

Submitted by:
Chris Gallant


“I know there is strength in the differences between us. 
I know there is comfort where we overlap.” 
 ~Ani DiFranco

No comments:

Post a Comment