Tuesday, December 10, 2013

It’s Snowing at Latham

It’s snowing (she said with a sigh). When I was young this would elicit shouts of joy and a search for mittens and boots. Growing up in a neighborhood of close homes and big families meant we shouted from yard to yard to gather the troops for a trip to the steepest street down the block. On rare occasions, we would get someone to bring us one town over to a golf course that was magical for rides down long hills. I loved winter back then. Now I see only the hassle involved with snow. The good news is that I think I left the ice scraper in the car all summer so all I have to do is shift the beach chair, umbrella and all the other stuff I never removed from the trunk to find it.

This is one of the reasons I love working at the Latham School campus. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is better than a kid’s excitement at seeing snow. It is joyful noise--an anticipation of the touch of a snowflake on your nose, the absolute coldness of it on your hands as you form that snowman. Who doesn’t want to make snow angels? Talk about a sensory experience. What is more fitting In December than a white blanket on the ground? And here’s a secret: We don’t need to tell anyone they are “exercising”. Pure & simple; playful fun. Now that makes a little snow down the collar worth it.

Submitted by:
Chris Gallant



“What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.” 
 ~John Steinbeck
 

No comments:

Post a Comment