Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Outside Play!


We have much to be thankful for as we progress through the seasons. I am delighted to arrive and depart work in the daylight. I love hearing the voices of students playing outside, seeing the bikes around the campus, and dodging the basketball activities around the hoop. Spring is here and one can’t help but to be optimistic that the balance between inside and outside time has finally shifted.

A school campus is always a hotbed of activity. The incredibly cold weather we had did not stop outside play, it just shortened it. Now, with light extended beyond the dinner hour, students can return to the outdoors to do kid stuff. Running. Swinging. Jumping. Pedaling. Skating.  I love the word “play." It never fails to put a smile on my face. Exercise, while good and admirable, doesn’t always sound fun. Yet what is play if not exercise?

A healthy lifestyle with physical activity is a habit we wish to instill in the people we support. It is critically important to their overall well-being that exercise be a part of their daily routine (ours too). I just choose to reference it as play. I have learned that I get a better response to "come play a game with me" than "come and exercise with me".

Let’s face it; there is a reason why baseball games start with a joyful shout of “Play ball!” and not “Go exercise”. I should now take my own advice right now and go out and play. It’s this pesky job thing that keeps getting in my way….

Submitted by:
Chris Gallant


"Energy & persistence conquer all things."
~Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment