Reasons to encourage our individuals to swim this summer include the following:
- CALORIE BURN!: A pound of body fat equals 3500 calories. An hour of cardiovascular swimming for a 155lb person burns about 466 calories.
- LOW IMPACT!: The buoyancy of water reduces your weight by approximately 90%. The result is that the stress on hips, knees, and back is significantly reduced by this form of exercise. For these reasons, swimming is a particularly great exercise for obese individuals.
- LEAN MUSCLE BUILDING!: Water provides 12-14% more resistance than air. Kicking and moving your arms to the resistance of water builds lean muscle and improves body composition. Lean muscle in turn causes the body to burn more calories even at rest.
- WATER WALKING!: Even non-swimmers can get great exercise by walking in water since the resistance means that more calories are burned than by walking on solid ground.
- GROUP FUN!: This is a great opportunity for our individuals to have a healthy, positive exercise experience which everyone can participate in and which will help them achieve their health goals.