Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Cape Cod, Baseball and Latham


I love my community--the place where I live and the place where I work. Fortunately for me, it is the very same town. This brings me to my love affair with baseball. I can tell you the exact moment I fell in love with the sport. The NY Mets were playing in a game against the Cincinnati Reds and I starting watching it on TV. It was 1969 and the miracle Mets were destined to win it all; Tom Terrific (Seaver, not Brady), Nolan Ryan, Tug McGraw and Bud Harrelson. I skipped school to watch the games and I was the only girl who could talk baseball in the cafeteria. This brings me to Summer, 2014.

The Cape Cod Summer Baseball league is a tradition here on our peninsula. College kids from across the nation make their way to play ball in Orleans, Brewster, Chatham, Harwich, Yarmouth-Dennis, Hyannis, Cotuit, Falmouth, Bourne, and Wareham. We at Latham are fortunate to host several players each year to work with our facilities staff during their stay. Many CCBL players are later drafted by major league teams and become house-hold names. After all, Thurman, Nomar, Youk, and Jacoby all played on Cape Cod. It is a pleasure to see these young athletes out and about the campus and then to go to the games to cheer them on.  It is baseball in its truest form; played all summer long in this most magical place. You can spend your days at the beach and go to a game in the late afternoon or early evening almost every night.

This year, our own Nick L will be singing the National Anthem at the Brewster Whitecaps game on June 20th.  We will be there to cheer our Latham student on as he sings his heart out. We will take advantage of this wonderful resource in our own backyard and support our players as they demonstrate their skill and talent. So welcome to Latham, Evan Hill, and Joe Curtis!  Who knows, one day you, too may be wearing a MLB jersey—hopefully a Red Sox one!

Submitted by:
Chris Gallant

No comments:

Post a Comment