Thursday, October 2, 2014

LATHAM PROFILES: Kevin Monteiro, Maintenance Dept.


LATHAM PROFILES: Kevin Monteiro, 

Maintenance Department

What do you enjoy most about your job?

I enjoy working with a great team and knowing that what we do impacts the lives and well being of residents that live here at Latham.

Describe a few of your responsibilities and how you spend much of your time.


My responsibilities include landscaping, which sometimes involves having the students help with gardening and clean up. Maintenance in general is a big part of my day and we also have the students participate in a “maintenance class”. In a group of three to six students, we will pick up or fix things around the campus.

What skills are most important for professionals who work with individuals with PWS?

I believe the ability to listen and show patience is important when working with our students and residents. Being caring and having the willingness to learn about the cause and effects of PWS are important. It is key to know how best to care for individuals with PWS.

What are the most important lessons you attempt to teach new staff?


How to be present in the moment and realize that each resident is different and may require a different approach.

What do you love about working with individuals diagnosed with PWS?

Watching and helping them to achieve goals that are set before them. I also enjoy the teamwork displayed in the groups.

Has this job taught you anything about yourself?

Working at Latham has helped me with my patience and has taught me to put other people’s needs before mine. It has also taught me that I can handle situations that I wasn’t sure I could.

How do you spend your time when your’re not working at Latham?

Spending time with family and friends and enjoying all that Cape Cod has to offer.

What advice would you give to someone contemplating a career at Latham Centers?

I would tell them that working at Latham gives you a great feeling about what you do every day. Working here with the great staff and residents is very rewarding.


Interested in a career at Latham Centers? Click HERE to view our latest job postings.

No comments:

Post a Comment