Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Visiting at Latham

Well, I have to ring the doorbell for access to my old office and to be honest, that will take some getting used to. I have had the pleasure of visiting the campus and administrative offices on several occasions since my departure and nothing, I mean nothing, is better than a warm welcome from students upon arrival back at “work”.  Being greeted with shouts and hugs does wonders for your soul. Among the happy hellos was my favorite response…”You again? I thought you retired.” But there was a smile attached to that face and to those words. 

I was here to celebrate the dedication of the school to former Latham Administrators, now friends and fellow retirees. Kathy Long and Matt McNamara were here when I arrived at Latham and nurtured this agency through the early years--much in the way a parent helps to support and guide their child through elementary, middle and high school. It was great to reminiscence about the old days and see how far Latham has come to advance the care, treatment and support of people with Prader Willi Syndrome and other complex special needs.

I hope there are many reasons in the future for me to drop in at Latham. I love seeing the kids working diligently in school and our adults engaged in the community. And I absolutely love to hear those words…You, again?

Submitted by:
Chris Gallant

No comments:

Post a Comment