Friday, November 28, 2014
TIP of the WEEK: Following Directions
Here are some ways to help your kids follow directions:
1. Keep instructions clear. Use as few words as possible when giving your kids an instruction.
2. Wait several seconds after telling your child to do something. Our kids often have a processing delay and need up to 20 seconds after hearing something to fully process what they heard.
3. Tell, don't ask. If you want your child to do something, don't present it as a choice. Asking infers that they have an option to say no.
4. Give one instruction at a time. Multiple steps can be overwhelming. Often the last thing you say is what he or she will process. This can cause confusion and may lead to acting out as a result.
5. Finally, ask them to repeat what you just said. Many times our kids are not being defiant; they simply did not understand the request or what they need to do to fulfill that request.
Manager of PWS Services