Thursday, December 25, 2014

My Latham Tree

I have a beautiful Christmas tree. It will never be in “House Beautiful” but it is spectacular to me. My grandson was over recently and began examining the tree’s decorations very closely. “Did my Dad make this one?”
"No, not this one." I reply.  
“What about this one?”  
"Nope, not this one either." He turned, looked puzzled and asked, “Why do you have so many ornaments on your tree made by other kids?” And the answer is surprisingly simple…these are made by my “other kids”. Kids not with my DNA, but mine by choice. I explained to him that students where I work (or more accurately, where I used to work) made these ornaments and that they are very special to me. They hang on the tree with those made by his father and his aunt and uncle and they are as precious to me as any in museums or fine department stores. He listens as I explain about Latham and nods his head in understanding as I point out the handcrafted designs and tell him a little bit about the artist. Some of these designs are older than he is but I personally feel like it was just yesterday that I picked up these beautiful pieces of art from the Latham craft fairs of years gone by. I treasure each and every one and plan on hanging them up every year on my tree, wherever it may be.


I wish all of you a very  Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!




Submitted by:
Chris Gallant

No comments:

Post a Comment