Wednesday, March 11, 2015

LATHAM PROFILES: Gina Desimone

LATHAM PROFILES:
Gina Desimone
Adult Residential Counselor


What do you enjoy most about your job?

I enjoy all of the experience and skills that working for this company has given me. I have been able to apply my trainings to real life situations and continue to build on my expertise in this field. Latham has allowed me to be very flexible with my work schedule, and you never live the same day twice in this work environment, every day is different.

Describe a few of your responsibilities and how you spend much of your time.

In my current position at Latham, I am responsible for med administration, meal prep and ensuring the general safety of the individuals that I help support. I encourage them to be the best they can be and role model appropriate behavior. I spend most of my time with the individuals I help support just doing regular daily activities; watching movies, going out into the community, playing board games and decorating for holidays and celebrations.


What skills are most important for professionals who work with individuals with PWS or other complex special needs?

Patience and humor are two very important things that can really be helpful in this line of work. Being confident in your decision making and following Latham’s general rules and guidelines can also help you excel in your position. Communication is always a great trait in the workplace. Working with the individuals that Latham supports also requires a lot of improvising and creative thinking, you have a lot of freedom to try new ideas and have a lot of fun with the people you work with.

What are the most important lessons you attempt to teach new staff?


There is a lot to learn and pay attention to at Latham. It is normal for it to take awhile before new staff are settled in. The best thing you can do is continue to ask questions. Everyone here is very helpful and so many people working for this company can be great mentors to help you along the way.

What do you love about working with individuals with PWS or other complex special needs?

I love experiencing the big things that happen in their lives with them; from graduations to Birthdays and holidays, to new jobs and responsibilities. It’s really special to see the joy and pride in their eyes when something important and exciting happens to them, especially when you see how hard they’ve worked for it and encouraged them along the way.

Has this job taught you anything about yourself?


This job has taught me that I can handle confrontation well, and I can be very level headed when faced with some difficult decision making in tough environments.

How do you spend your time when you’re not working at Latham?


When I am not working at Latham, I spend my time at home raising my two kids and enjoying my time with our family.

What advice would you give to someone contemplating a career at Latham Centers?


Working for Latham is an experience that is well worth trying. It will teach you skills and give you some experiences that you wouldn’t find anywhere else. 




Interested in a career at Latham Centers? Click HERE to view our latest job postings.

No comments:

Post a Comment